|MAJOR GENERAL GERARD CARON|
Prior to his selection to serve as Commander, 79th Medical Wing, Major General Gerard Caron served as Deputy Command Surgeon, Air Education and Training Command. The AETC program includes 14 medical units including 2 medical centers, and a training group, graduate education programs for Medical Service officers, all medical training for enlisted members and policy, planning, programming and oversight to medical modeling and simulation for the Air Force Medical Service. General Caron served in the Commissioned Corps, United States Public Health Service (USPHS), National Health Service Corps and was in private practice before accepting a direct commission in the Air Force. He is a diplomate of the American Board of General Dentistry. His professional honors include Mastership in the Academy of General Dentistry, Fellowship in the International College of Dentists and appointment to the American Dental Association, House of Delegates. General Caron served as deployed commander of the 376th Expeditionary Medical Group, Manas Air Base, Kyrgyz Republic in 2009 in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. General Caron also serves as Command Surgeon, Air Force District of Washington, Air Force Component Commander, Joint Task Force CAPMED and Assistant Surgeon General for Dental Services.
1975 Bachelor of Arts in chemistry, St. Anselm College, Manchester, N.H.
1978 Doctor of Dental Medicine, Tufts University School of Dental Medicine, Boston, Mass.
1988 Squadron Officers School, by correspondence
1989 Air Command and Staff College, Outstanding Graduate, by seminar
1992 Residency, Comprehensive General Dentistry, Keesler Medical Center, Keesler AFB, Miss.
1992 Air War College, Outstanding Graduate, by seminar
1996 Interagency Institute for Federal Health Care Executives, Washington D.C.
1998 Dental Fellowship, Office of the Surgeon General, Bolling AFB, Washington D.C.
2002 MHS Executive Skills CAPSTONE Course, Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Wash D.C.
2006 Joint Task Force Surgeons Course, Joint Forces Command, Norfolk, VA
1. Aug 1986 - Jul 1989, General Dental Officer, Loring Air Force Base, ME
2. Jul 1989 - May 1992, Chief, Dental Examination & Diagnosis, RAF Lakenheath, UK
3. Jun 1992 - Jul 1994, Resident, Comprehensive Dentistry, Keesler AFB, MS
4. Jul 1994 - Jul 1996, Clinical Dentistry Flight Commander, Lajes Field, Azores
5. Jul 1996 - Jun 1998, Dental Services Fellow, HQ USAF, Bolling AFB, Washington D.C.
6. Jul 1998 - Jun 2000, Dental Programs Manager, HQ USAF, Bolling Air Force Base, D.C.
7. Jul 2000 - Jul 2001, Commander, 11th Dental Squadron, Bolling Air Force Base, D.C.
8. Jul 2001 - Jun 2003, Commander, 59th Dental Squadron, Lackland AFB, TX
9. Jul 2003 - Jan 2005, Commander, 17th Medical Group, Goodfellow Air Force Base, TX
10. Feb 2005 - Jan 2006, Deputy Assistant Surgeon General, Health Care Operations and Acting
Dental Corps Chief, Office of the Surgeon General, (HAF) Bolling AFB, Washington, D.C.
11. Feb 2006- Jun 2006, Dental Corps Chief, Office of the Surgeon General, (HAF) Bolling AFB,
12. Jul 2006- Jul 2007, Chief of Dental Policy and Operations, Health Care Operations
Directorate, Office of the Surgeon General, (HAF) Bolling Air Force Base, Washington, D.C.
13. Aug 2007- May 2010, Deputy Command Surgeon, Air Education and Training Command,
Randolph AFB, TX
14. Jan 2009- Jul 2009, Deployment as Commander, 376th Expeditionary Medical Group,
Manas Air Base, Kyrgyz Republic; Operation ENDURING FREEDOM.
15. Jun 2010- present, Special Assistant to the Commander, HQ Air Education and Training
Command, Randolph AFB, TX
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:
Legion of Merit
Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Army Commendation Medal
Army Achievement Medal
United States Public Health Service Citation
National Defense Service Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND AFFILIATIONS:
American Dental Association
Academy of General Dentistry
American Board of General Dentistry
International College of Dentists
Association of Military Surgeons of the US
Air Force Association
Military Officers Association
Dental Licenses: Maine, New Hampshire
Federal Services Board of General Dentistry
American Board of General Dentistry
Omicron Kappa Upsilon Dental Honor Society, 1978
Alternate Delegate, American Dental Association House of Delegates 1998-99
Fellow, Academy of General Dentistry, 1995; Master, Academy of General Dentistry, 2001
Delegate, American Dental Association House of Delegates 2005-06
Fellow, International College of Dentists, 2006
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION:
Major - July 21, 1986
Lt Colonel - April 8, 1992
Colonel - April 8, 1998
Major General - Frocked