|COLONEL WILLIAM M. KNIGHT|
Colonel William M. Knight is the Commander of the 11th Wing and Joint Base Andrews, MD. The 11th Wing is the host wing for Joint Base Andrews providing security, personnel, contracting, finance and infrastructure support for 6 Wings, 2 Headquarters and over 50 tenant organizations, as well as 60,000 Airmen and families in the national capital region and around the world. The 11th Wing supports contingency operations in our nation's capital with immediate response rotary-assets. It also provides security for the world's highest visibility flight line and is responsible for ceremonial support with the United States Air Force Band, Honor Guard and Air Force Arlington Chaplaincy.
Colonel Knight entered the Air Force through the Reserve Officer Training Corps in 1989 after graduating from Auburn University, Ala. Colonel Knight's previous assignment was Commander of the 374th Airlift Wing, Yokota Air Base, Japan. He has also been Chief, Joint Education Branch and Deputy Chief, Joint Education and Doctrine Division, Directorate of Operational Plans and Joint Force Development Directorate of the Joint Staff at the Pentagon and an Air Force Fellow with the Congressional Research Service in the Library of Congress in Washington, D.C.
Additionally, he has commanded a KC-135 squadron, and held staff positions at the squadron, group, wing and major command level.
Colonel Knight is a command pilot with more than 2,800 flying hours in KC-135, C-130, and T-38 aircraft.
1989 Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Auburn University, Ala.
1990 Masters of Business Administration, Auburn University, Ala.
1995 Squadron Officers' School (Non-resident program)
1997 Squadron Officers' School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2000 Air Command and Staff College (Non-resident program)
2002 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2002 Masters of Military Operational Art/Science, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2004 Air War College (Non-resident program)
2008 Air Force Fellow, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.
2009 Joint and Combined Warfighting School, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
1. June 1990 - June 1991, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Columbus AFB, Miss.
2. July 1991 - March 1994, C-141 Aircraft Maintenance Officer and Section Commander, 62d Aircraft Generation Squadron, McChord AFB, Wash.
3. April 1994 - May 1998, Executive Officer, Chief of Tactics and C-130 Aircraft Commander, 39th Airlift Squadron, Dyess AFB, Texas
4. June 1998 - July 2001, Flight Commander, Assistant Operations Officer and KC-135 Evaluator Pilot, 905th Air Refueling Squadron and Executive Officer, 319th Operations Group and 319th Air Refueling Wing, Grand Forks AFB, N. D.
5. August 2001 - June 2002, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
6. July 2002 - June 2004, Chief, Executive Development Branch, Directorate of Personnel, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
7. July 2004 - June 2007, Operations Officer, 22d Operations Support Squadron, later Commander, 384th Air Refueling Squadron, McConnell AFB, Kan.
8. July 2007 - June 2008, Air Force Fellow, Foreign Affairs, Defense, and Trade Division, Congressional Research Service, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.
9. June 2008 - June 2010, Deputy Chief, Joint Education and Doctrine Division, Operational Plans and Joint Force Development Directorate, Joint Staff, Pentagon, Va.
10. July 2010 - March 2012, Vice Commander, 374th Airlift Wing, Yokota AB, Japan
11. March 2012 - June 2012 Commander, 374th Airlift Wing , Yokota AB, Japan
12. July 2012 - Present, Commander, 11th Wing, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight Hours: More than 2,800 hours
Aircraft Flown: KC-135, C-130, and T-38
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Bronze Star Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters Air Medal Aerial
Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
2002 Airlift/Tanker Association's Global Reach Award Winner
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Dec. 3, 1989
First Lieutenant Dec. 3, 1991
Captain Dec. 3, 1993
Major March 1, 2001
Lieutenant Colonel May 1, 2005
Colonel Aug. 1, 2010
(Current as of July 2013)